Funding for 'bed-block' left out of National Health Reform Agreement
Additional funding to address bed blocks has been left out of the National Health Reform Agreement
A new five-year $219.6 billion commitment to state and territory health systems by the Commonwealth Government has been labelled a “golden opportunity missed” for older Australians.
The National Health Reform Agreement, announced on Friday, includes an additional $25 billion in Commonwealth funding for public hospitals.
“This agreement represents one of the most significant national reforms in living memory. These reforms will ensure that Australians can continue to access world class health care as well as disability support,” Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said.
“It prioritises investment in our precious public health system and builds on my government’s measures to strengthen Medicare.
“It is a major step forward in addressing pressures that are there on health and aged care systems as well as on the NDIS, ensuring their sustainability into the future.”
However, while it has been reported that the government had discussed an extra $2 billion over four years to address patients in hospital waiting for aged care placement, this was not part of the Prime Minister’s final announcement, having been unanimously rejected by the states and territories.
Ageing Australia (AA) has expressed disappointment with the agreement.
“This was a rare opportunity for state and federal governments to work together to improve outcomes for the thousands of older Australians stuck in hospital for extended periods, but that opportunity has been missed,” said AA chief Tom Symondson.
He warned that the growing number of long-stay older people in hospitals should is a clear warning sign, and that only concerted joint efforts could improve the situation, which will only get worse as the number of older Australians grows.
The peak body highlighted the dire need for investment in aged care infrastructure, noting that while 10,000 extra aged care beds are required annually to keep pace with demand, only around 800 came on line last year.
Mr Symondson stressed that this isn’t a solution saying that “more beds alone will not resolve this issue”, as he advocated for states and territories to play their role in providing higher levels of care for older people with complex needs.
With the number of Australians aged over 65 projected to double in the next 40 years, and those over 85 set to triple, the demand on health and aged care systems is set to intensify.
Prime Minister Albanese said the Commonwealth had sought to find “common ground” with the states and territories, which he thanked for what had been years-long negotiations.
“Under our federation system, that requires the Commonwealth, together with states and territories, to work together in the interests of the respective states, but also in the national interest, and that is what we have been provided for with this agreement,” he said.
“We know that we need to get older longer-stay patients out of hospital rooms and into dedicated care, and the aged care reforms will assist with that.
“We know that we need to provide quality care for Australians with a disability, and the reforms will do that, as well as ensuring that they are sustainable.”
Email: rebecca.cox@news.com.au




