Premier rejects PM’s offer for Queensland hospitals and NDIS
Mr Crisafulli said the changes would leave hundreds of NDIS and aged care patients “stranded” in Queensland’s hospitals
Premier David Crisafulli has declared the end of “cannoli diplomacy“ with Anthony Albanese, accusing the federal government of walking away from its aged care and NDIS responsibilities.
In an announcement at the LNP’s state council on Sunday, Mr Crisafulli publicly rejected the federal government’s hospital funding proposal.
The offer to add $20bn over five years to bring total funding to an expected $195bn would lift the Commonwealth’s share of hospital funding for states and territories to about 35 per cent – significantly less than the 42.5 per cent that was promised in a 2023 national cabinet agreement.
The Premier, who has previously said he worked well with Mr Albanese as “there’s nothing that can’t be solved over a bit of common sense and a cannoli“, said the proposed funding was not a deal he was willing to take for Queensland.
“We will not allow the Commonwealth to short-change Queensland’s health system,” he said. “Cannoli diplomacy is off the menu until a fair health deal is back on the table.”
Premiers and chief ministers last month condemned the federal government proposal, arguing it represented a shortfall of “tens of billions” that will directly threaten frontline hospital services.
The Council for the Australian Federation released a statement on behalf of all Australian premiers urging the federal government to honour the 2023 funding agreement.
“States and territories are acutely aware of the need to manage growing cost pressures and activity demands on public hospitals … largely driven by factors outside the states’ control,” the statement read.
“These factors include the high-inflationary environment following the pandemic, clinical workforce shortages, increased complexity and frailty of patients, and growth in “stranded” patients that cannot access suitable aged or disability care.”
It also accused the federal government of tying the hospital deal to NDIS reforms that would see states co-fund new “foundational supports” aimed at shifting people with mild disabilities, including some children with autism, off the NDIS.
Mr Crisafulli said the changes would leave hundreds of NDIS and aged care patients “stranded” in Queensland’s hospitals.
More than 1100 long-stay patients – older and disabled people who should be in Commonwealth-funded care – are currently occupying acute beds across Queensland.
“That is the equivalent of removing our state’s largest hospital from service, every single day,” Mr Crisafulli said.
“That’s more beds than we have at the Gold Coast University Hospital, or the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, even the Princess Alexandra.
“The federal government is effectively shutting down a major Queensland hospital every single day by walking away from doing their job.”
Mr Crisafulli accused the Albanese government of shirking its federal responsibilities by shifting NDIS and elderly care onto states. He warned the PM against “underestimating” the Queensland government and other jurisdictions facing hospital strain.
“Expect to see other state leaders … step up and fight for Canberra to care for those they are responsible for,” he said.
Originally published as End of cannoli diplomacy: Premier launches unsavoury attack on PM over aged care and NDIS
Email: rebecca.cox@news.com.au




